TO KNOW CHRIST AND TO MAKE HIM KNOWN

TO KNOW CHRIST AND TO MAKE HIM KNOWN

Thursday, June 10, 2021

Doing our Duty

 "Will any one of you who has a servant plowing or keeping sheep say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come at once and recline at table'? Will he not rather say to him, 'Prepare supper for me, and dress properly, and serve me while I eat and drink, and afterward you will eat and drink'? Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded? 10 So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.'"

Luke 17:7-10 (ESV)
 
"A.L.O.E., in "Triumph over Midian," writes: ‘You have not your due,’ were the words which a wife addressed to a husband, who had been deprived of some advantage which she considered to have been his right. ‘May God be praised that I have not my due!’ he replied. ‘What is my due as a sinner before God? What is my due from a world which I have renounced for His sake? Had I chosen my portion in this life, then only might I complain of not receiving my due.’” (Biblical Illustrator)
 
"The faithful performance of duty in our station, ennobles that station whatever it may be. There is a beautiful story told of the great Spartan Brasidas. When he complained that Sparta was a small state, his mother said to him: ‘Son, Sparta has fallen to your lot, and it is your duty to adorn it.’ I (the Earl of Shaftesbury) would only say to all workers, everywhere, in all positions of life, whatever be the lot in which you are cast, it is your duty to adorn it." (Biblical Illustrator)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment