TO KNOW CHRIST AND TO MAKE HIM KNOWN

TO KNOW CHRIST AND TO MAKE HIM KNOWN

Monday, June 28, 2021

No Comparison

 And a ruler asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.”

Luke 18:18-19 (ESV)
 
Good is a meaningless word and should not be used to describe God. When this ruler used the word good, Jesus questioned what He was saying. This is because good is a word that needs comparisons to understand what you mean.
I am a good basketball player if I am playing against someone who cannot dribble or shoot. I am a terrible basketball player if I am playing against an NBA all-star.
 
God is so unique that there is nothing or no one to compare Him to, making the word good impossible to use. It would be better to say that God is right; therefore, He is good. This makes the term good dependent upon being right or wrong, and it gives us a basis for understanding what was actually said.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment